Friday, May 14, 2004

Superhero Summation

Watched a episode of the Newlywed Game a long time ago. One of the questions they asked the brides was "If your husband could be a superhero, who would he be?"

My answer would be
1. Superman.
2. Spiderman.

While I admire the X-men, Batman and others, Superman beats them all for one simple reason: He can fly. As a kid, that was my one dream after seeing Christopher Reeve in his blue tights whipping around Metropolis. I'd fall asleep at night, dreaming that I one day would wake up the next morning floating above my bed and able to soar above the clouds. His strength, speed and super abilities were secondary to me. He could fly!!!!

Spidey runs a close second. I guess I identified with his geek status, his outside looking in. I also thought he never got the respect that he deserved in the early comics. I liked that he could walk on walls and that he was a "little" guy. I mean, he routinely beat bigger and tougher opponents. Plus he had the best taunts and wisecracks.

But swinging on webs can't beat flying. Ever. So webheads can get over it. Live with the fact that flying always will trump swinging. heh.

No comments: