Thursday, October 25, 2007

CD Minded

Big Daddy Weave.
I'm not a big, huge fan of Christian based rock.
But when I find something that is cool, I tend to listen to a lot of it.
Big Daddy Weave. I was given their 2002 Album, "One & Only."

While it did have a bit of Blues Traveler mixed with a hipper Eric Clapton and tang of Sting, I felt that some of the album started to repeat itself. I really enjoyed the standout songs: "In Christ" , "Audience of One" and a few others. I liked lead singer Mike Weaver's voice -- but I enjoy the album more when he mixes it with other singers more. His lead solos are good, but a dozen tracks of it tends to get a bit grating. His harmonies with Jay Weaver blended well (are they brothers?) and the lyrics on "Audience of One" start off with a kneeling, gentle prayer that makes the guitars backing Mike's voice up soar over the melody.

This is where this band shines. I hope they can keep the message of their music on the same level as here: Not so overpowering that the music is left behind. I'm going to go check out their newer stuff...here.


No comments: